When you’re walking your dog, do you ever think to yourself: am I doing this right? Would you like to learn some professional dog walking techniques to make your dog more comfortable during walks? At Doggy Detail, we are happy to share some of our favorite dog walking tips that could make Rover’s day even better.So with that in mind: how do you value doggy poop scooping?
Dog Walking Tips
As a pet parent, you always want your fur baby to feel comfortable and happy. This should extend to walk time, too! To make sure your dog has a safe and happy walk, here are ten dog walking tips we recommend:
- Keep your dog close. When you go for a walk with your dog, make sure to keep him close to you to keep him safe. Letting your dog wander too much can instill bad habits such as running into the street, chasing after animals, and more.
- Use a short leash. Using a short leash, you can help make sure your dog stays close and keep him under control. This is especially useful if your dog pulls a lot or tries to chase things.
- Avoid socialization with unfamiliar dogs. Unfortunately, when your dog is meeting other dogs on the street, he is not making friends. Dogs who meet on leashes that don’t already know each other are stressed out and determining if they should follow their instincts: fight or flight. If you see another dog, cross the street or wait for them to pass.
- Use a harness, not a choke collar. If your dog pulls on walks, try using a front-clip harness or a similar product instead of a choke collar. Choke collars are painful for your dog, so opting for a pain-free solution is a better choice.
- Take a new walking path to improve mental stimulation. If you usually follow the same path for your dog every time you walk him, maybe it’s time to switch it up. Taking your dog on a new route can be an exciting change for him.
- Let your dog sniff! While it can be pretty annoying for your dog to smell the same mailbox for five minutes straight, let him. Because your dog probably spends most of his day inside the house, allowing him to sniff and enjoy himself while he can is a vital part of his mental stimulation.
- Avoid retractable leashes if possible. Retractable leashes can be convenient, but they can also be pretty dangerous. These types of leashes offer minimal control over your dog and are prone to snapping back and causing injury to both you and your dog. If your dog darts to the end of the leash, this can cause him serious injury.
- Pick up your dog’s poop. While it is always recommended to pick up your dog’s poo, there are more reasons to do so than you may think. Not only is it courteous to do so, but you are also protecting the local water supply. Dog excrement can contain harmful contaminants that pollute the water supply as it breaks down into the grass.
- Keep some treats on hand. If your dog is prone to chasing every squirrel he sees, it might be helpful to bring along some of his favorite treats as you walk. You can use these treats as a distraction method to pull his attention away from whatever he wants to chase and reward him for not chasing it.
- Make sure your dog is wearing ID tags. It’s a good rule of thumb to ensure that every time you and your dog leave the house, your dog is wearing his ID tags. Unfortunately, anything can happen at any time, so making sure your dog is appropriately tagged is the best way to keep him safe.
Dog Walking In The Chicago Area
At Doggy Detail, we offer dog walking services to help when you are busy or out of town. Regardless of why you need us, we can help ensure your dog gets the attention and exercise he needs. At Doggy Detail, we pride ourselves on going above and beyond for our customers. In addition to our dog walking, we can provide the following services at no additional charge:
- Wipe your dog’s paws after the walk
- Fill-up his food and water bowl
- Administer any oral medication
- Alternate lights
- Receive notification of any potential health concerns
- Bring in any packages or newspapers by the front door
- Other reasonable requests
Get In Touch Today
At Doggy Detail, we can walk your pet while you’re away! Let us take the stress off you and keep an eye on your dog while you travel or go to work. When you use Doggy Detail for your pet walking needs, you are choosing a trained, professional team who loves your pets like our own family. If you need an extra set of hands to help with your busy life, Doggy Detail can help. Get in touch with us today at (847) 212-5616 or use our online contact form to send us a message. You can also send us an email at email@example.com. We can’t wait to hear from you!